Woolton Hall is a remarkable Grade 1 Listed building in south Liverpool dating from 1704 but later extended significantly by the renowned Architect of the day, Robert Adam, in 1780. It is both architecturally and historically significant. Not only is it a fine example of an 18th C country house, the only example of a Robert Adam building in Liverpool, it was the home of notable 18th and 19th C Liverpool families, firstly the Molyneux then the Ashton and latterly the Jeffrey, Leyland and McGuffie families. It was used as an auxillary hospital in World War 1 and became The Sisters of Notre Dame school in the mid 20th C before being sold in 1981. It has lain empty since 2006.
The building has fallen into disrepair since its closure, putting it at serious risk. Historic England have recently decided to put the Hall on the Buildings at Risk Register and local Councillors have met the owners to understand what plans they may have to save the building. Today, this fine building is virtually hidden from public view behind overgrown trees and vegetation. Many local people don’t even know it exists.
Merseyside Civic Society are passionate about saving our city’s historic buildings which are real evidence of Liverpool’s significant past. Recently the Society agreed the following statement regarding the risk to this building:-
MSC are concerned at the apparent continuing deterioration of Grade 1 listed Woolton Hall and fully support any positive proposals for the repair and conservation of the Hall.